Spring is in the air and it’s the perfect time of year to get rid of the old and bring in the new. Many homeowners are getting their to-do-lists together and delegating spring chores. While we may be busy thinking about getting the yard in order in order for family gatherings, pressure washing the siding and getting the windows clean, one area we may not be thinking about is pest proofing our Pennsylvania homes to keep unwanted guests out. Warmer temperatures mean an increase in pest activity. In fact experts believe that mild temperatures this past fall will further increase the risk of insect infestations. The first step to avoiding problems is pest prevention.
Pest Control Technicians, Inc recommend the following pest proofing tips to prevent insect and rodent problems that occur in spring and summer.
• Kitchen & Pantry Pests – The kitchen may be the heart of the home for you and your family; unfortunately it’s also a primary food and water source for pests. Pests such as ants, cockroaches and moths are commonly found in the kitchen. Not only are they a nuisance, but cockroaches in particular can contaminate food and spread bacteria. To combat pests such as these, store food in airtight containers, wipe up spills immediately and make sure your trash is emptied on a regular basis.
• Pests in Bedrooms & Bathrooms – If you are getting ready to spring clean your closet, you may find that moths have made a home for themselves feeding on natural fibers including cotton, silk and wool. Silverfish on the other had can be found in both bedrooms and bathrooms and prefer feeding on synthetic fabrics along with books and paper. Wash or dry-clean items before storing them and eliminate dampness by running a dehumidifier. Seal any openings in the bathroom around pipes and be sure to hang bath towels to dry.
• Family Room Pests – Kitchens and bathrooms are the most common areas for pests but family spaces are also at risk. Pets can bring fleas and ticks into the home and crumbs can encourage rodents. To keep your living areas clear of pests, vacuum floors and furniture on a regular basis and keep your family pets current on flea and tick prevention.
• Mice, Rodents & Pests in Garage – boxes full of sporting equipment and summer toys like pool noodles and wave boards provide the perfect home for pests including mice, rats and squirrels. Rodents can cause damage nesting in walls, chewing through wires and they can also spread disease. As you go through your spring cleaning routine, keep a look out for signs of nesting and rodent droppings. Use plastic storage bins that are airtight to store seasonal items and keep items off of the floor whenever possible. Keep the garage tidy and sweep regularly.
• Outdoor Pest Control – Both spring cleaning and pest proofing the outside of your home will help keep pests outside where they belong. Seal cracks and small openings around your foundation and don’t forget entry points for pipes and cables. Remove any sources of standing water and keep trash bins and storage areas clean. Trim back branches away from the home.
Spring Pest Inspections, Prevention, Control & Removal in Norristown, Lansdale and Levittown Pennsylvania