Centipedes are predators of other insects, which make them beneficial, but in high enough numbers can become pests themselves. Uses venom on prey through a pair of poison jaws that contain venom glands.
Facts About Centipedes:
- Can have up to 15,000 individuals as part of a colony and satellite nests
- Prefers dense vegetation or shrubbery as a place to hunt for prey
- On the inside of buildings, centipedes prefer quiet places like crawl areas, attics and utility voids
- Can live up to 5 years, a very long time for an insect
- Can over winter inside as well as outside
- Centipedes are sometimes called “hundred leggers” but can have up to 235 legs total!